Thursday, June 16, 2005

The End, Explained

Recently I was at a meeting and ended up sitting next to one of my coworkers. Since it was just the two of us we were stuck talking to each other. He said something, which caused me to mention ExOfNote. (He seems to be on my mind a lot as of late.) The context required the "ex-fiancè" reference.

"Your ex-fiancè? What happened?"

"I'm Mormon. He wasn't." Instead of the typical, 'Ahhhhh' that statement seems to illicit here in the Bubble I was greeted with polite silence as he waited for me to continue.

I went on, "I think the real kicker was when he said to me one night, 'I can handle my wife being Mormon. I can even handle my kids being Mormon.' That was a huge deal for him," I explained, "since he was really devout in his faith. Then he continued, 'But I don't think I could handle me being Mormon.' It was at that moment that I knew it couldn't happen. I mean, what a huge sacrifice he was willing to make to be with me. But, it wasn't enough. I couldn't ask him to give me more than he had offered, and, I couldn't take less than that. That was pretty much the end of things. Not right away, but eventually."

"How long ago did it end?" He asked softly.

I laughed a bit sadly, "We broke up a year ago last Valentine's Day."

He managed the usual response I get from that, "Well, if you believe in something that strongly, it's great that you live those convictions."

Yeah, but he's not that one still in love with the totally wrong person. I suppose I should be over it by now; but I still love ExOfNote, despite everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home