Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Not Vegan, But Close. Ish

Allow me to start today's blog with too much information. I'm lactose intolerant, and I think I'm ovo intolerant. Additionally, I don't eat much meat, and that meat which I do eat tends to be more along the lines of chicken. These facts have not escaped the note of my coworkers, and they understand that while I am not vegan I do eat a mainly vegan/vegetarian diet.

With that information, read on. Yesterday was Carnivore's birthday, so we all went out for lunch today to celebrate. While we were standing in the hall trying to decide where to go Carnivore suggested, "Why don't we go to Tucanos?" We all laughed and someone asked, "What about Granola?" "They have a salad bar," Carnivore offered. Now, since the article we all know you just read didn't give you a price list, allow me: it runs $20-ish for lunch, I think; and, since it's a buffet sort of thing, there isn't an I'll-just-have-salad price option. This lead to a discussion on what else I could eat whilst there. One of the guys suggested that I could also have some of the roasted pineapple. Thanks guys. We ended up heading to a burger joint we've eaten at before (they make a killer (ha ha) Boca Burger).

It's really kind of fun how they tease me, but in the end always make sure that there is something I'll be willing to eat there. I think MyBoss is the most 'protective' of me in that regard, though I'm hesitant to use the word protective. We'll laugh with everyone, but for just a second he'll catch my eye and with a questioning expression make sure that the place up for discussion is going to be ok for me. It's funny. It happens the same way every time. Someone will start out by suggesting some place, we'll get into a big discussion on the options and, just before we settle on it, MyBoss will catch my eye questioningly, I'll either give him the yeah-totally-o.k. nod, or the uh-no-way shake. If it's the uh-no-way shake he'll suggest something else. Wash, rinse, and repeat. The funny thing is, I think I have said 'no' to just one place. In fact, the last time we went out we ended up at Beto's, a place I have historically described as "a greasy Mexican joint. Uh, the food is greasy, not the Mexicans." I'm also convinced that if they had fruit salad it would come with meat. I ordered chicken. A fact that did not go unnoticed.

At first it seems kind of strange that a group of guys care about the dining habits of one person, but they really do. However, it's not that odd, in thinking about it. If one person in the group has different diet restrictions people tend to be very conciensious about it. If it happens to be a choice (as long as they aren't overly annoying about it - a la "I'm better than you because I don't eat meat") people tend to be even more eager to help them maintain that conviction. That, or get them to break it. However, since every single person on my team shares the same dining/drinking restriction by choice they are much more willing to help me keep my additional ones. A fact which I really appreciate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home