Friday, June 10, 2005

Degradation Of Women

Today at lunch we were discussing Pop-Culture. FamilyMan mentioned the new show "Beauty and the Geek" and wanted to know if we had seen it. No, but I was curious what it was all about. He proceeded with a plot outline. At first it sounded funny. The women are just stupid, but stunning and the geeks are completely socially inept and, well, true geeks. Sounds all well and good. As he continued it started sounding more and more like the brain child of a bunch of guys who couldn't get an ugly woman to spit on them if they were on fire. Finally I said what was on my mind, "Ahh, the degradation of women is back in the main stream!" Responses to that included, "Finally! Back where they belong. On prime-time." "And off of pay-per-view." The comments got a bit over the top, and I was reaching my (figurative) boiling point. Well, had the comments been serious I would have passed my boiling point long before they died off. After a bit of this I put the cup I had been drinking from down on the table a bit too hard. I looked over at OfficeNeighbor who was, by far, the worst offender. Carnivore said, "Uh oh. Granola is starting to rethink her position on gun control." OfficeNeighbor mimicked me bringing a handgun to work and said, "Come Monday, I'm just going to let my Glock do the talking." "Well," I admitted, "I am starting to rethink my position on pacifism."

The irony of this is two fold: (1) MyBoss wasn't there to witness the exchange (which you'll understand when you read the next post); and (2) For some reason this sort of thing is perfectly acceptable when all parties understand it is a joke, but if in six months I decide to be offended BigNameCompany could have a massive law suit on their hands. The guys, however, are never allowed to be offended if I make 'dumb male' comments (which, I've done).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home