Friday, July 01, 2005

Alarming Failure

I woke up this morning rather suddenly as someone banged upon something (presumably, that something was my front door). I glanced at the clock, annoyed until I discovered that it was 8:45am. I guess I had forgotten to set my alarm last night! I jumped out of bed, brushed my teeth and hair. Skipped the usual shower, applied deodorant, a few spritzes of perfume, threw on some clothes, put on some makeup, and was out the door running to the bus stop in 5 minutes. Not too shabby, all things considered.

When I got to work (at 9:30, only an hour and a half late) I headed down the hall to my office. MyBoss and GoteeBoy were standing in the middle of an intersecting hallway with their backs to me. I slid by them, hoping to go unnoticed. A few minutes later I decided I needed some herbal tea, so I grabbed my mug and headed to the break room. MyBoss and GoteeBoy were headed back from getting hot chocolate, so we exchanged greetings.

Then, MyBoss said, "Oh, hey, Granola, I saw you this morning walking from your bus stop. I was going to stop and pick you up, but I had my mother-in-law in the car, and I was on the other side of the street."

"You saw me at the bus stop? This morning?"

"Yeah, just a few minutes ago."

"Well," I said with a smile and inner relief, "I'm glad I wasn't the only one running a little late this morning!"

"Yeah, it's not a big deal."

If you're going to get caught, I suppose the best situation is to have your boss do the catching, whilst in the same predicament. To think, I actually contemplated calling him and letting him know that I was going to be a bit late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home