Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Friday

My Step-Grandfather's funeral is going to be this Friday. Plane tickets home are ridiculously priced, so I think I'm going to rent a car and drive out there. Including gas and food I will end up $3-400 ahead. I wasn't kidding about the ridiculous part.

Every morning at work we have a 10 minute meeting where we kind of give people a heads up for the week. I told GoteeBoy that I would probably be missing Friday and Monday for the funeral. He asked if I was aware that we get bereavement leave. Yes, I am. Three days for extended family, but I would probably take only two. He encouraged me to take all three.

Later in the same meeting Carnivore mentioned that we are having a fire drill on Friday, and we have to participate in it. We joked about how to get around it. Someone suggested just taking the day off work. I mentioned, then, to the whole group that I wouldn't be in on Friday or Monday. They were shocked that I would miss the fire drill, mandatory ribbing ensued. "Yeah, I'll be spending Friday with the burnt remains of my grandfather, instead." "Oh!" RayOfSunshine declared from the back, "Now I'm a jerk!" I guess I hadn't really told everyone, just a few people here and there. Well, now everyone knows.

This lead to a renewed discussion of bereavement leave. They all told me I should take all three days, after all, "It's part of your benefits! Use it!" With that kind of encouragement, how can I not? So, I'll probably be taking off Tuesday as well, though I don't know what I'll be doing. Maybe just partying it up? Anyway, it's really nice that I have that time off.

My little sister, on the other hand, may not even get one day of bereavement, because as a "step" he ceases to be "extended family." Uh, hello, lame! For all they know he was the man who raised her mother for her entire life.

I am really glad that I will be able to attend the funeral, I think my step-Grandfather would want me to be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home