Thursday, July 14, 2005

Glasses

I've worn "corrective lenses" since 7th grade. Since that time I have had a cyclical love/hate relationship with them. When I got my first pair of glasses I was so thankful to be able to see that you could have put the most un-glamorous glasses on my face that I probably would have worn them without complaint. When I got my first pair it was early 90's. Which means, as I'm sure you guessed, that they were huge and hideous! I was told by the woman behind the counter that large-rounded frames were best for my face, and by the time I left high school I was still convinced of that fact. Never-mind that I have high cheekbones which hit the bottom rim of my glasses when ever I smiled.

After I left home for University I decided that I had managed to earn enough money to afford contacts. I was saved! How blissful that discovery was. I bought my first pair and swore I would never go back. Two years later, however, my insurance wasn't going to cover them, and the cost was about $200 per eye, if I got the ones that corrected for my astigmatisms. Thus, I had to get the cheaper version. This turned out to be a horrible mistake, and I seldom wear those contacts, as they are still blurry, and why wear anything if they only slightly improve your vision. Sometimes, however, one wants to see, but doesn't want to wear glasses. It is one these occasions that the contacts go in. Seldom, but they do exist.

I also got glasses, just in case. By this time I decided that the woman seven years prior had not only lied to me, but was smoking something when she sold me the frames -- large-round frames were not only the exactly wrong frame for me, but they were painfully un-cool. Inspired by my roommate I decided to get oval/rectangular black frames reminiscent of the alternative look. I loved them! They were perfect! Turns out, that short-wide frames are not only a better more "now" look, the also happen to fit my face without hitting my cheekbones. Since then I have had two new pairs of glasses, and just got a third pair yesterday.

The first replacement pair of glasses were sun glasses. I love prescription sun glasses, and was excited for these. Generally, I was of the opinion that sun glasses should be black, but the frames I fell in love with were brown (they were also more rectangular than oval), thus necessitating brown lenses. That was a difficult switch for me, but in the end, it was a good move. Plus, the brown looks better on me, given my complexion and hair color.

The second replacement pair happened immediately after my glasses were hit by a car. No, I was not in them at the time, which sounds ridiculous, but here's what happened: I had switched from my glasses to my sun glasses, and put my glasses in my coat pocket. They apparently fell out whilst I was walking across a parking lot, and after I discovered their loss and finally found them again they were horribly mangled. The new glasses were similar in style and shape, only slightly more rectangular.

I wore those glasses for a few years, and was generally happy with them with a few exceptions, the lenses had gotten scratched over time, and the paint on the top rim in the center of each eye piece had worn down and was shiny metal, as was the middle of the nose piece. The paint was only moderately annoying, and I could have continued to live with it, but since I finally have vision insurance again (and I'm paying through the nose for it) I thought I had better get me a new pair.

I made an appointment with a new doctor and went in two weeks ago. I picked out a pair of glasses in a similar vein as my old frames, but these are a goldish brown (almost coppery) and even more boxy than before. (actually, you can see a picture of them here.) Cute, eh? Also, my insurance covers contacts, so I thought I'd try them again. My contacts have been driving me bonkers for the last two weeks. First the prescription in one eye was so far off I had to call the doctor's office and get my appointment moved up so that I could change them for something slightly more usable. This last week, however, the prescription was still off, and last night when I went in for my check-up the doctor decided to try a different approach with my contacts. He has to specially order the contacts, so hopefully that will go well.

Thankfully, however, I finally got my new glasses last night. I love them!

For the past two weeks I have been wearing contacts, and when I was finally able to plop these on my nose I was quite relieved. I have decided that I like me with glasses. It's not that I feel exposed or "naked" with out glasses, I just like them better.

That being said, I just got a package from my insurance company telling me about Lasik, etc. Funny. Knowing that I am a candidate for Lasik has made me think, a lot. It would be nice to not have to squint at the alarm clock, etc, but I really do like me in glasses. I could always have the surgery, and then wear plain glass in the lenses. Nahh. That'd be a little too much, even for me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Laziest Girl said...

I hear you sister. Everyone with bad vision has been here. I used to have the round tortise-shell frames when I was a school. In old photos, you can't even see my face for these enormous glasses.

July 14, 2005 4:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home