Saturday, August 13, 2005

Another Game (Much More Innocent This Time)

Unlike the last game I posted, when we played this game Mumsy was completely aware, and had no problems with us playing.

This game was not surprisingly called "Dress-up." No rules, just dressing up. Dressing up was tons of fun, and we played it a lot when we were really young. As the only boy my brother had no boy playmates, and often played dress-up with us. He even had a favorite outfit. A little purple dress with white polka dots and lace.

When I was home for Christmas one year we found a photo of him in his dress. It was so cute. Later I was teasing him about it and jokingly said, "I found the cutest photo of you in a little blue dress." (I thought I'd spare him the humiliation of pointing out that it was purple — let the guy save some face.)

His reply? "It was purple with white polka-dots."

Naturally. We still joke about it, always laughing. Thankfully he is well adjusted and realizes that it was a childhood game.

The funny thing is, however, that the boys-in-dresses theme isn't' limited to just him. When my three year-old niece and nephew play dress-up together he has his own "pretty dress" that he likes to wear. Per family tradition, it is a more feminine color (pink) and is very frilly. Tragically, however, he is getting too big for it. I wonder if my sister is going to buy him his own new one, or just let him still a different one from my niece.

1 Comments:

Blogger Blandwagon said...

My nephew once co-opted his sister's fairy costume, complete with gossamer wings and magic wand.

However, his version of "playing fairies" was to run about the house obliterating imaginary foes with death rays from the wand, accompanied by a loud "ZAP!"

Nice to see the Y chromosome asserting itself there.

August 15, 2005 12:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home