Thursday, August 04, 2005

Flexitarian

My sister called me the other night to give me some good news. In the health food magazine she picked up at the health food store they had defined my eating habits. Apparently I'm a "flexitarian." Why must we label people? I mean, is it really that hard to say, "No thank you, I don't eat much meat." Why must I be an-anything-atarian? If I liked to eat shoes would they label me a shoeatrarian? Probably.

On that note, at the wedding reception Saturday night there was plenty of meat and shrimp, and quite a bit of cheese. The selection of other items, however, was more than a little limited. I commented to my roommate (not the former-now-married roommate) about this. When she and her boyfriend -- who happens to be vegan (more on him in a future post) -- picked me up from the airport she felt compelled to tell him that I was more upity about the food selection than she had been. I hadn't been upity, I had just commented to her, but whatever. Anyway, after she told him that I made a slightly defensive comment and she said, "Oh, he's all about being upity." Yeah, that could be one of the reasons I don't like him all that much. I'm not about spending time with peoples' superiority complexes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home