Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Geek

Because I know you'll be shocked to learn about it, let me be the first to tell you: I'm a geek. I work with geeks, I'm friends with geeks, we sit around and revel in our geek-hood, we tell geeky stories, and even geekier jokes.

Before we get into today's post you might want to read this article. Given, however, that I can safely assume a few things namely: (1) Mom, you didn't RTFA, did you? (2) Those of you who started to read it chances are you zoned out straight away. So, let me sum up: we're talking about flashing the BIOS. Flashing one's BIOS restores factory settings in the cases where it doesn't update them. Clear? Good. Now, onto the post you've all been waiting for:

yesterday afternoon I was sitting in my office minding my own business when I hear OfficeNeighbor declare to TheKid and GoteeBoy, "No, Granola's totally into Unreal." I had to find out what they were talking about, so I walked over there and asked. "Oh," said TheKid, "I made a generalization about females, and OfficeNeighbor just proved I was wrong."

"Which was?"

"OfficeNeighbor said that video games need a female touch, and I said that most girls I know like to play the standard computer games that come with Windows, like tetris and minesweeper, not the other kind of computer games. And, I'm not sure how you can add a feminine touch to a fps (first person shooter). Do you like to play tetris, Granola?"

"Yeah, I like to play the standard windows games, I suppose."

"Oh. But you like to play Unreal, too? Right?" I'm seriously not making this up, this guy actually talks like that, University degree and all.

"Uh, yeah."

"Cool. Then you don't fit in with the standard Female definition."

At this point, it's safe to say the conversation took a turn for the worse. "Well," OfficeNeighbor said, "You need to update your definition of 'Female'." Spoken to TheKid, this would (obviously) mean that he needed to review his idea of what it means for one to be 'Female'. However, spoken to me, this would mean that like a computer program has definitions to update, I apparently do and I needed to update my 'Female' program. We chuckled about this briefly, then I made the crowning geek comment of the day, "Yeah, I guess I need to flash my BIOS."

We were all disgusted at me for making the comment, and each other for laughing at it. Oy vey!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home