Saturday, July 30, 2005

No, No, No, Yes

I get asked a lot if I'm vegetarian. The answer is always the same, "No." Pretty simple answer, eh? I don't feel the need to tell people the whole long bit about how I don't eat much meat, but if I really want some, I'll go ahead and have some. I have, however, found that not eating dairy is simple, sorry, can't, I'm lactose intolerant. No questions asked, they are satisfied to know that by eating whatever they are about to eat will not be met with a superiority complex, just a girl who can't eat what they're offering.

yesterday afternoon I arrived in Texas for my roommate's wedding. Her best friend picked me up at the airport and took me to her home so we could grab a bite to eat before heading to the city where our friend is getting married. When we were at this girl's house they offered me Chicken Cordon Bleu. I politely turned them down. No thank you, I'll just have rice with soy sauce. Her mom offered to make me a ham sandwich, again, no thank you. This girl then asked the question we all know is coming, am I a vegetarian. Nope.

Later last night I was starving and was hanging out with my roommate (not the one getting married) who is a vegetarian. I had stepped out, and when I got back to the room she told me that the girl who picked me up from the airport had called and asked if my roommate thought that I would like a Chick-fillet. She said yes, but was thinking, 'salad. Get her a salad.' I groaned. I was so not in the mood for a nasty fast-food chicken sandwich.

We discussed this, I tried to call the girl back, but she didn't answer. Finally, my roommate and I decided that we would go try to find some dinner.

We found this Mexican place and decided to try it out. There honestly wasn't a single thing on the menu that didn't contain meat. When our waitress came by I asked if we could just take meat out of any dish. She asked, "Are all y'all vegetarians?" For the first time in my life I answered, "Yes." Whoa. What? She said for the most part yes, we could. When I finally decided on what to order my roommate placed her order, then the waitress asked, "Now, vegetarians, right, not vegan?" "No." Said my roommate. I, on the other hand, said yes. That would pretty much guarantee that I wouldn't get sour cream or cheese in my dinner. As I was ordering she said, "Now, the tortillas are fried in lard." Oh, that's fine, I told her. I guess I'm not a very strict vegan, eh?

As we were eating my roommate asked if I was ready to declare myself a vegetarian. Nope, I told her, I'm not. I still eat meat. Just not much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home