Friday, August 05, 2005

Career Advancement Advice

Pay attention, I'm going to give you some invauable advice on how to get yourself noticed be management.

On Tuesday a bunch of us were standing in the hallway near the elevator waiting for Carnivore to join us so we could head down to lunch. Bouncer was busy giving me crap, and after a bit I got all up in his mug. Which is to say, I raised my voice and asked forcefully (whilst attempting to grow an extra foot to make up our height difference and stand close enough to come across as threatening, but far enough away to actually not cross that comfort bubble) "Do you want me to get in your face? 'Cause I will!"

I think we should pause here and discuss what Bouncer looks like. Basically, big, bic-ed, and goteed. In his interview before he started here his now-boss asked what was the most difficult thing he found in working with other people. His answer? "I'm big, bald, and scary; and people are intimidated by me." Yes, very much so. In other words, I wouldn't stand a chance against him.

While thus engaged someone exited from an elevator and walked up to us in an effort to walk down the hallway we were blocking. "Excuse me." He said politely. I backed up, said, "Sorry." and then leaned back against the wall. After he was out of ear-shot GoteeBoy quickly said, "Dude, Granola, that was senior level management!" @#$%^&*()!!! Why didn't someone warn me?!?! We all laughed, what can you do at that point?

When Carnivore arrived the story was related to him. He laughed and said, "Well, that's a CLM!"

"Uh, what's a CLM?"

"Career Limiting Move. Nice working with you, Granola."

On Thursday we were at lunch and were talking about this particular manager when someone started laughing and making reference to the incident. MyBoss, who had not been present for the encounter, asked what was going on. GoteeBoy quickly jumped to explain, "Well, Granola was yelling at Bouncer when he walked by..." MyBoss just started laughing!

Once he stopped laughing MyBoss managed to say, "I'm sure that one look at Bouncer and he knew that Granola must have been provoked. He also knew that she wouldn't stand a chance against him!"

The beauty of it is, none of us really think he cared all that much. How do I get away with this crap?

Well, that's one way to get senior V.P.'s to notice you. Not, however, a course I would recommend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home