Sunday, January 22, 2006

Fight!

Last night a good friend of mine did something that meant a lot to him. He had signed up for Ultimate Combat up at Sandy Station. He was really excited, so I decided to go up and support him. As it turns out Sandy Station is a "Private Club for Members" which is Utah for "Bar". Good thing I took my license, eh?

The fight went really well. In the end, it went to the judges, he lost by 2-3-2. So, not bad at all. I'm sure he'll do better as he continues to train.

I have so many mixed feelings about this.
On the negative side:
  • I'm a big huge pacifist, so, straight out of the gate I'm not too fond of this kind of entertainment on principle.

  • Watching your friends get injured really sucks.

  • Hanging out in a bar all night makes my head hurt.

On the positive side:
  • He's been slipping back into partaking of substances he should be avoiding — as a fighter he understands the need to be "clean," so he's been avoiding that stuff.

  • He's good at it, and he enjoys it. I fully think people should do things they're good at, and enjoy (so long as said activities are not immoral or illegal).


In the end, I just hope he doesn't get too messed up, and knows that I love and support him, even in stupid things.

After we got back down from Sandy I couldn't wait to shower, change, and wash my clothes. I smelled so bad! I hope my roommates smelled me. They certainly didn't ask too many questions. I love it when they think they have figured out some horrible thing that I did, that is totally not the case. It always makes for a good story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home