Sunday, April 22, 2007

Performance Review

Remember how last Thursday was performance review time? Oh yeah. It sucked.

The first thing you need to know is this—3 things happen at review time:
1. We, uh, get reviewed.
2. BONUSES!
3. Pay raise, baby!

First things first
My review was really positive. My team lead told me that I was doing things really well, and blah blah blah. But when it came right down to it, he gave me a rating of "performing" (or, 3 on a 5 point scale). Basically, I'm doing my job, but that's about it.

Um, maybe be managed to sleep through that whole month that I was working 80 hours a week? Moron. I couldn't believe he told me I was just 'meeting the bar' of my current position! I mean, seriously? Then, he had the audacity to bring up the fact that I got a promotion, which happened to be from a level 1 to level 3, effectively skipping level 2. Um, if I were just barely doing my job, why are you promoting me 2 levels?

Second things second
No bonus.

You read that right. No bonus for Granola. The logic behind that? "Well, you got your signing bonus, and so you don't really need another one."

What? No. Let me explain how this works: you offer me a signing bonus so I stick around for a year. Then, you give me a performance bonus because I, as we like to say, performed better than the rest of the idiots on the team!!

Lastly (and this is the part that only makes everything all the more confusing)
I got a 10% pay raise. That's huge! I'm rather pleased about that.

This is why I'm confused/complaining:
If someone is just meeting the bar for their job, and not performing impressively enough for a bonus, why are you giving them a 10% pay raise? I'm not sure I get it. The only thing I can really think of ties in closely with something my lead said, "We had to fight to give you this big of a pay raise, but we really want to keep you on the team." He also mentioned the fact that I've been at the company for more than a year, so if I wanted to transfer internally he couldn't really stop me. Those things combined lead me to the conclusion that he was rewarding me while simultaneously penalizing me. Which is to say: if I try to transfer internally the only bit of my review that the other manager is going to see is that I'm meeting the level of my position (not exceeding). They won't see the 10% pay raise. I think the whole thing was done as a bribe of sorts. There is no way that he didn't know what his actions would do to me when it comes time for an internal transfer. I just haven't figured out how he thought that it wouldn't piss me off.

Oh, and my favorite favorite part of the review? He actually had the balls to tell me that he "expects better things out of [me] this coming year." As if I was almost not even doing my job. Also, he told me that I need to work on my communication skills, and that he didn't want to 'micro-manage' me, but he expected an update on my projects on a daily basis. How is that not micro-managing, again?

Overall, I'm happy about the money, but pissed off about everything else. Maybe he doesn't realize that I'm not OK with being average.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home