Monday, July 02, 2007

Grace

For the last two or three weeks the words of John Bradford have resonated within me, "There but for the Grace of God go I."

It is the case in the LDS Church we tend to stress the need for works over Grace when talking about Salvation. We believe, as Nephi said, "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do (2 Nephi 25:23)."

The logic there is plain and simple, "Do what you can, and God will make up the rest." Absolutely. 100% correct. Couldn't agree more.

What's the problem, then? Many Mormons get so focused on the caveat, "after all we can do," and forget entirely about the "it is by grace we are saved" part.

At the end of the day, no matter how much time we spent making leper bandages, or how many hours we spent in the Temple, or how big our tithing checks are, none of it matters. We can't buy our way into Heaven. We can only work hard, strive to be the best we can, and be immensely grateful for the incomprehensible mercy that is God's Grace.

What does this have to do with the quote above? I am where I am, I am who I am, I am what I am, because of the Grace of God. He has brought me to where I am, He has given me all I have, He has constantly blessed me. Of all the countless struggles and trials and blessings that exist in this world, I have what I have because God loves me completely enough to challenge me where I need it, help me when I need it, guide me how I need it, and bless me in the way I need it. All of these things have come together to shape who I am, and at that final Judgment, as I stand before Christ to make a report of my dealings, and fall dismally short; He will shower His Grace upon me, and save me in my sins.

How truly, truly wonderful.

The blessings I have are a small token of His Grace, now. Indeed, "there, but for the Grace of God, go I."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home