Sunday, July 01, 2007

Yet More Closure

Too much of this closure thing and I might go nuts.

I helped Nurse move on Saturday. Why? Because I needed to do it, for me. I needed to force some closure for myself. I can't really explain it, but I needed it.

I started out the day at her house. As I walked in Nurse introduced me to her roommate and a couple of friends who were helping them move, "This is my friend, Granola," she said by way of explanation. Not, "This is Musician's friend, Granola," or, "This is Granola, she's in Musician's ward, but "This is my friend, Granola." I'm glad she thinks of me that way. I'm even more glad she introduced me that way. I want to be her friend, and I'd like to think that I kind of am, as much as I allow, perhaps.

It was a long day, but after we finished, Musician and Nurse took me and her other friend who was helping, out to dinner. We had a great time, then I asked them to join me at my car so I could give them my gift. It was a simple gift: the card I painted (which turned out quite nicely, actually), a rather beautiful box (made in India), a candle, two champaign flutes, and some nice dish towels. All quite beautifully arranged (if I do say so myself). They loved it, and thanked me a number of times. I'm glad it made them happy. I hugged her first, congratulating her and as we broke our embrace I said, with pure sincerity, "I'm so happy for you." I hugged him next, and probably held him tighter than necessary. As soon as I realized it I stepped back. Wishing them both well I quickly got in my car and drove off—hoping they didn't notice the tears pricking my eyes.

In the end, Saturday night was precisely what I needed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home