Saturday, August 11, 2007

Too Much Connectivity

The problem with the internet is it creates too much connectivity.

Yes, I just uttered the most unholy of phrases, two of them, to be precise, and then I mashed them together to make an more unholy phrase.

I realize that claiming there there is a "problem with the internet" could be seen as blasphemous. I mean, it's the internet, pervader of all that is information. And, anything that does that is, instantaneously, without reproach.

Additionally, how dare I suggest that there is such a thing as "too much connectivity." In a day where 12 year olds need their own cell phone, and we get annoyed if someone doesn't have theirs with them, how could there possibly be such a thing as being too connected?

Exhibit A:

I was talking to my sister today, she casually mentioned that she saw ExOfNote online Monday evening. She was on invisible, so he didn't see her, but she saw him. She also mentioned that she almost sent him a message asking how he's doing. She didn't. I'm immensely grateful that she didn't. He knows my phone number and a few of my email addresses. If he wants to talk to me, he knows good and well how to go about doing so.

Now, back to that too much connectivity thing: whatever happened to the days when people would break up, move across town from one another, alter their social groups and/or patterns, and never have to run into each other? Now, not only do you have to do all those other things, but you also have to change your email address if you want to ensure that you never run into each other. Frankly, changing an email address is more annoying than changing a physical address, if you ask me. Also, email addresses have a way of lingering long after you're gone.

Apparently he's alive, but I don't know how well. I asked her to not contact him unless he instigates it. She'll honor my request, and I doubt he'll reach out to her. I'm bothered by how that left me feeling so exposed, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home