Saturday, August 30, 2008

Coupon

I got a coupon at work a few weeks ago for a free Prime Top Sirloin or $40 off a full-priced meal at a pretty nice restaurant. When I picked it up, I knew who I was taking to dinner.

Last night when we were out at dinner I mentioned it (for the first time) to Bill. "We should go there," I told him. "You'd spend that on me?!" he ask, for some reason surprised. "Yup. Of course!"

We decided to go tonight.

I tried to make reservations this afternoon, but they were full, so we opted to show up and find a seat in the bar.

Upon discovering that I had never had a Shirley Temple, Bill decided that that is exactly what we were both going to have. As he ordered for us he announced to the server, "Can you believe that at her age she's never had a Shirley Temple before? We're going to fix that tonight!" I laughed, a bit embarrassed and jokingly told the waiter that "it's my 21st birthday!" He wished me happy birthday and I laughed as I thanked him for the well wishes.

For the record: I could have gone my whole life without a Shirley Temple and not have missed anything.

For dinner Bill ordered the anticipated stake (med rare) and I had the Grilled Portobello Mignon. Both meals were delicious. I had so much food I ate only half, and brought the rest home for tomorrow. Bill made an excellent suggestion: chop it all up and make scrambled tofu for breakfast. (Ok, so he suggested, "If you weren't vegan, make scrambled eggs.") I'm looking forward to that already.

After we finished our meal I pulled out the coupon and my credit card. As we sat there waiting for the server to return with our check we were both surprised when he, instead, returned with a plate containing mango sorbet in a caramel dish and two spoons. "A little something from me," he said as he set the plate on the table with a flourish. I spied the candle at the exact moment that he said, "Happy birthday!" Whoops! He told us that usually he knows just what to get, but tonight he had to think about it, since we had ordered my meal with no dairy. I thanked him profusely, made a wish (hey, why not?) and blew out my candle.

I was a bit confused how the confusion had happened, then Bill reminded me that I had told the server in the very beginning of the evening that it was my birthday. And, indeed, I had!

We laughed about it, and enjoyed our sorbet. We were still laughing when I said, "He's going to be scandalized when I pay the bill!" Bill offered to pick this one up, but I assured him that, no, it was my turn.

The server brought our check and noticing my card, placed the billfold next to me. I paid and left a tip on the total pre-coupon (hey, I may be tacky enough to use a coupon at a nice restaurant, but I'm not cheap enough to stiff the server!). Since everything was perfect, the service was great, and I got a nice little dessert out of it I was sure to leave a healthy tip.

Thank goodness for the coupon, because, seriously, without it that would have be a $90 dinner!

Oh, and we used the valet service. How fun! The dude opened the door for me and everything. Though, I suck at having my door opened, and went around the front of the car. Whoops!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home