Sunday, April 05, 2009

And Then, From Left Field

My one on one last week just about drove me to quit. Just in case you didn't notice.

I had asked for a postmortem on our big 6 week project right near the end, and he set it up for us. It was scheduled for Friday afternoon, and I was dealing with another (major) issue right as it was supposed to start. I raced over to the meeting room one minute late and as I walked in one of my co-workers said, "There's Granola! We can't have this meeting without you!"

My boss started to start the meeting, but I (kinda) cut him off. "Actually," I said, "do you mind if I run this? There are a couple of things I really want to talk about."

"Nope, go ahead," he told me. The meeting went well, and we accomplished a lot, but I did worry just a bit that I was stepping on his toes when I asked to run the meeting. After it was over I told him I'd type up the notes and email them to him.

Before I had a chance to email him the notes he sent me an email. It was short and to the point, "Good job on running the meeting. That's just the extra step I was talking about in our one on one."

While that was nice to see, it was still a little awkward for me to just take control from my boss like that. Hmmm... interesting.

1 Comments:

Blogger Memory Keeper said...

I guess that is an example of "ownership"

April 08, 2009 9:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home