Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Blood From a Turnip

Just when you think they've sucked the life blood out of you, some way, somehow, they manage to take that little bit that you were grasping onto desperately, without even knowing it.

Yesterday I had a 1:1 with my (new) manager. The meeting went well until the end. He thanked me for all my hard work for the last 6 weeks, and then said he had a little feedback for me. Apparently, I don't demonstrate "ownership."

The example (singular!) that he cited was utter bull crap and, frankly, stupid. I can't believe the audacity. I work my ass off and mess up one thing (which, by the way, I took care of immediately) and because I don't publicly self-flagellate I'm failing to show ownership.

I was too stunned to respond rationally. I still don't know what I'm going to do, or how I'm going to deal with it. But, this feels a whole lot like, "Granola is a great employee and works hard, but, unfortunately, she lacks ownership, so we can't recommend her for a promotion at this time."

And, I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. I can't take this abuse another year. It sucks you dry, and leaves you a little shell of the shinning glorious creature you once were.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home