Thursday, April 09, 2009

Grow Up

"Where do you want to live when you grow up?" I inquired.

Bill chuckled and answered with an "I don't know."

"Why the chuckle?"

"I wondered if the 'when you grow up' was going to bother me, but then I realized that it didn't."

When I asked the question I didn't even think about all the underlying crap--our age difference or his age-related insecurities. I simply asked my friend a question in the same manner I frequently pose them to myself. I'm glad he didn't take offense, but I wish he'd get over the age hangups and enjoy being in his early twenties. This is a time in his life he'll never get back. I've tried to express that to him, but it's hard to say those things without sounding patronizing. So, I keep my mouth shut, and renew promises to not tease him about how young he looks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home