Friday, January 14, 2005

Context is Everything, and Naming Things

On the 12th we learned a very valuable lesson -- context is everything. As Gracie pointed out, I guess I can come across as a "poetic lesbian." :D While that most assuredly isn't the case (I like boys waaaaaayyyy too much) I can see her point. So, just for the piece of mind of my adoring public (all four of you), whilst I am agree with the poetic note, I don't agree so much with the "lesbian" part.

In other news (and on a similar vein, I think), I have decided that it is high time I named my cello. Naming an inanimate object is not something I take lightly. The name must reflect the personality of said object, with out forcing the object into an uncomfortable mold. Take my laptop, for example. My laptop is a boy, named Dover. Dover and I have a history together. Mostly, it involves me sitting there, waiting for him to *do* something. Invariably, I find my self muttering those infamous words of Liza Doolittle: "Come on, Dover, come on! Come on, Dover, come on! Dover, move your bloomin' ahh!" And, thus, he was named. Appropriately, I think.

Which brings us to my original conundrum: what to name my cello? It is obviously a she. I don't know why, so don't ask. Some say all ships are women, and while I really don't have an opinion on that, I would have to say that, for me, at least, gender is more a product of the item and the relationship one has with it, rather than its origin (e.g., not all computers are male). All of this talk has made me wonder if my cello isn't a boy-cello. I know the one I first saw was most assuredly a girl-cello. There was no way she wasn't. I guess that emotion transfered over to my new one. Let me think about this for a minute... Ok, it's going to take more than a minute to solve this mystery. So, let's discuss possible names. Up until just recently, I had decided that her name was Lydia. I tried a bunch of different names on her: Sherry, Joan, Sally. None of them seemed to fit, until I came upon "Lydia." Now, however, I am faced with the worry that it may be a boy-cello. Thus, if he is, in fact, a boy, I think I shall name him Andrew. Now, all I need to do is figure out if my cello is a boy-cello or a girl-cello.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home