Thursday, February 24, 2005

Mother's Intuition is Wrong. WRONG I Tell You!

My mother called me a few weeks ago and asked me to burn her a CD. She had specific songs she wanted, and no way to get them all. Additionally, I have all of her records (all L.P.'s), but haven't been able to find a good piece of software/hardware combination to convert all of these to a digital format (which she wants me to do). Not surprisingly, the songs she wanted were all to be found in her record collection. I gave her my ex's email address (we shall call him ExOfNote, since he is my most notable ex) and instructed her to ask him to do it. Lots of reasons for this:
He:
1) Has high speed internet at home which he isn't sharing with roommates or anyone else
2) Is always downloading stuff, so
3) Already has file-sharing software on his computer
4) Happens to live in a country where file sharing isn't illegal, so there are no potential ramifications for this behaviour.
Where as I:
1) Share my high speed internet with my roommate and the girls next door (let's all say "yay for wireless!")
2) Never download music, so
3) Don't have file sharing software on my computer
4) Currently live in a country where file sharing is of dubious legality.

I was sure he would do it. However, time constraints placed by my mother dictated that he wouldn't have time to do it. Thus, I found myself subjected to iTunes and MSN Music to (legally, and with out spyware) obtain the desired songs for her. The result was a very lovely mix of music which I then burned to CD and sent to a friend of hers (for whom this CD was made), and then sent another copy to my mom. However, there was tons of room at the end, so I added some other songs that I thought she might like, as well as some songs from ExOfNote's younger brother and his girl friend's (that is, ExOfNote'sYoungerBrother's girlfriend's) band. Just 'cause I thought she might like it. Heck, I like them, and I don't even have to say that.

Mumsy finally got around to listening to the CD, and called me today to thank me for it, and also the extra songs. I told her it was really no problem, and by the way, that band she has never heard of is ExOfNote'sYoungerBrother's band, and I think she might enjoy some of the songs. To which she replied, "Well, that's good, since I'm not fully convinced he might not some day be a son-in-law." WHAT?!?! "I don't think you're over him, and I'm not sure you're ever going to be." Oh, great, thanks mom. I'm glad you have faith in my ability to move on. Sheesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home