Thursday, March 03, 2005

I'm So Funny!

I met up with a friend of mine today to grab a bite to eat and tell her all about my current employment conundrum. As we were walking across campus we heard a bugle announce that the Star Spangled Banner was about to start playing. So, we stopped, turned, and paid appropriate respect as the ROTC lowered the American Flag.

It's almost surreal to stand on campus at 5:35pm. The vast majority of people stop in their tracks and cover their heart with their right hand. Invariably, though, a few individuals don't stop because they are in a hurry, are international and thus fail to see the point, or just don't feel like it. These moments are almost cinematic, the whole world stops, except the main characters who break-out in song-and-dance, etc.

Today as we were thus standing a friend of mine, who happens to be non-American, non-Caucasian hurried by. "Dude! PotentiallyRacialProfilingNameThatReallyIsHisName, show a little respect!" He glanced over at me, took note of who I was, smiled, laughed, did the head-nod thing, and kept hustling to wherever he was headed, saying as he went, "Hey, Granola!" My American friend who had witnessed the whole thing started laughing. "Oh!" She declared, relieved, "I'm so glad you know him!"

The recorded orchestra finished the final strains of the song, and I burst out laughing uncontrollably. "I'm so funny!" I declared triumphantly. Yes, I believe I may be just that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home