Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The Dork Next Door

Over the past few weeks I have become friends with the guys next door (where by "next door" I mean, "two houses down"). They are really fun and funny. However, one of them in particular (the one with whom I spend the most time) is a world class dork. There really is no other word to describe him. I've tried 'punk' but people take that to mean punk as in punk-rock. He's a little bit of that, but more of an immature trouble maker. He's the one guy who will always think of lame pranks to pull on people, and delight years later when they still haven't figured out he was the one who did it.

My roommates don't really care for him all that much, though they try for the "I don't really know him all that well" excuse that fails as soon as one suggests that they might try to get to know him better. PuppyDogsAndBows keeps asking me, "Do you have a crush on Dork?" in that tone of voice that is part incredulous part disgusted. I always answer the same, "No. We're friends, I like hanging out with him; but he's a dork."

Last night we were watching a movie when we heard music coming from one of the rooms. They muted the TV and listened. No one was in that room, and then it dawned on me, "I bet Dork is playing on our porch." I went out to check and there he was, sitting in the dark playing guitar. I joined him and we chatted and hung out and he played and sang. Generally, we spent a pleasant evening sitting in the dark on my porch.

Back story: Sunday night he had helped me put a couch on the porch, which would be terribly trashy, except we live in a college town, and everyone has couches on their porches, so it's less tacky. Anyway, this is important because we were sitting on the couch talking, etc. At one point he decided to sit on the brick wall we have that pretty much surrounds the porch. I was tired, so I threw my knees over the arm of the couch and laid back, taking up two of the three cushions. When he moved back to the couch he sat on the third cushion, and I twisted so I could look at him as we talked, but other than that, didn't move.

About that time one of my roommates decided she wanted to go skateboarding down the street, so she came out and chatted with us briefly before heading out. She came back a bit later and Dork and I were still lounging on the couch chatting.

After he left I went inside and PuppyDogsAndBows said, "You had your head in his lap, huh?" "What? No! I was just lying on the couch." Apparently the other roommate had reported back to the girls what she thought she had seen. The thing about it is, had I had my head in his lap I'd tell them. Why would I (a) try to hide it, or (b) lie about it when my roommate had seen it? Doesn't make sense to me either. Then, PuppyDogsAndBows asked the question we all know she was going to ask, "Do you have a crush on him?" No. No, I don't. We're friends, that's all.

I think she's seen When Harry Met Sally a few times too many.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home