Saturday, August 27, 2005

Explanation

Friday was an interesting day for me. After lunch some of us were discussing facial piercings (as brought on my Carnivore's recent problem), and then after joking about it for a while FamilyMan asked me if I had ever had my nose pierced. I couldn't really answer the question because while, no, I have never had my nose pierced I did have an appointment to get it done that evening.

I drove up to a tattoo parlor, and was really impressed with how clean everything was. The man who did my piercing even made sure I saw him wash his hands really well, and he put on gloves and everything. Honestly, I wouldn't have let him touch me if I hadn't seen things come out of sterile packages and had he not been wearing gloves.

After we decided where to place the piercing and everything he eased the needle through my nose. Then he asked, "Do you want to see it with the needle still in?" "Yeah." "Somehow I thought you might." Yeah, right. I'm sure you ask everyone if they want to see it, and those who do get that response, the others get, "Yeah, I didn't think you were the type, but I thought I'd offer anyway."

As is normal for nose piercings (I discovered when doing the pre-stupid-act research) my eyes watered a little bit, even though it didn't really hurt. "Oh, you have a little tear. Let me get that for you." the body artist said tenderly, as he wiped my cheek with a tissue. With that he threaded through the new nose ring, gave me some care instructions and sent me on my way.

I told my roommates, and their reaction was actually pretty cool. They didn't say anything committal either way, just "Oh! You did it for real? Cool." The thing I liked about their responses is that they weren't judgmental about it at all. Actually, I don't really know how they feel about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home