Friday, August 26, 2005

Lasting Impressions

My cousin sent me an invitation to myspace about 6 months ago. I went ahead and signed up, it's free. ok? Anyway, I haven't really done anything with it, or thought about it much; until this week. I got a message from someone asking if I was who she thought I was. She indicated that we had had an English class together in high school, and, by the way her name was ThatOneGirl. I had a vague inclining who she might be, but I wasn't positive, ok, I had no clue. Tragically enough, the picture on her profile was taken when she was about five. We exchanged a few emails, with the last one telling me that she always thought I was easy to talk to in high school, and that doesn't seem to have changed much. I ran home, dug out the old high school year book and flipped through it, looking desperately for someone named ThatOneGirl. I found one girl with that name (not an unusual name, just a small high school) that was in my class. The odd thing is, I don't remember ever having a conversation that was much more than small talk or poetry reading. Apparently, I made some sort of impression.

The next day I lugged the year book into the office, just in case I was thinking of the wrong girl. I poked around her profile, hoping that she was in contact with some of the same kids from high school that would give me some clue as to who she is. I discovered that she had more than just the one picture, and in taking a look at those I discovered that she was a different girl than I had originally thought. Thankfully, this girl and I had actually had some conversations. Shhesh.

I looked around and found another friend from high school who I have now exchanged a few emails with. The odd thing is, so many of them are still in contact. Does that happen a lot? I can think of two people from high school who I still keep in touch with, and we went to church together, and each came out to the BYU.

Oddly, I can't decide if it is depressing that they have kept in touch, or that I haven't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home