Monday, August 29, 2005

Opinions

Right before team meeting this morning FamilyMan noticed the nose ring and asked if I had it done over the weekend. Sure did. That was about that, until just as the meeting was about to end Carnivore said, "I think Granola needs to go get her I.D. photo re-done, since adding that nose ring!" This led to loud talking and everyone asking about the shape of the ring and if it hurt, etc, etc, as well as the general teasing that goes on. Then Carnivore said, "Well, now we know why she was asking everyone's opinion last week!"

"No, it wasn't that, I just wanted to know how I should break the news to my mom. I already had the appointment when I was asking."

MyBoss then exclaimed, "Wait. You asked everyone's opinion, except mine?"

"Not everyone, just Carnivore, FamilyMan and someone else."

"You should have asked me, I'd have given you my opinion."

"Well," I shrugged, "oh well."

Five minutes later I was sitting in his office getting some information from MyBoss. "So, what's your opinion?"

"On what?" He asked trying for innocence, but failing as he smirked.

"On the weather today!" I rolled my eyes, "You know."

He went on to try to not violate the BOP, but what he ended up saying was something like this: "Well," uncomfortable shifting in his chair, "How can I put this? I think," smile, "I think they are se... I think they look ni... I kind of..." More shifting. "Well, given our culture," he finally resorted, "I'd have to say they are kind of a bit out there. How's that for a good non-committal answer?"

We went on to have an interesting conversation about the social stigma placed on some seemingly minor things here in Happy Valley. Actually, we also talked about how some people have already treated me differently. For instance, last night the guy who lives downstairs was talking with us briefly. He asked if we were students, my roommates said, yes, they go to BYU. I said, "No. I'm not in school." Instead of asking what I was doing (like most people do), or where I was working (another highly popular option) he said, "Oh, just hanging out then?" I didn't dane to respond; let him think what he will.

MyBoss talked about how he got that, too, when he had long hair. We also talked about my decision to do it, etc. Anyway, it was a good chat. Then he said, "Yeah, the next item of business I was going to address was to ask you if that was one of those magnetic things, or if you really did it, but Carnivore beat me to it!"

"Yeah? You thought it might be a magnet?"

"Well," he replied all friend and no boss, at this point, "honestly, it kind of surprised me that you would do something like that, but then, it doesn't really surprise me either. I mean, you're zanny enough that you would just go and do it. But, I don't know. In Utah County, it's pretty out there!"

Anyway, so, there we have it. My boss thinks my nose ring is sexy, but in an effort to not violate the BOP he couldn't quite say it like that. No worries, I'm prone to agree, they are sexy (on girls, and when not huge or grotesque).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home