Sunday, August 28, 2005

Church

Today was my first day out in BYU land with the nose ring. I wasn't sure how it would be taken, as I hadn't really interacted with anyone since having it done.

My roommates and I went to church (Stake Conference, so I didn't get to experience the new ward just yet). It all went well and good, at first. I saw a guy I used to go to school with. He did a double-take, but said nothing. Then, as we sat through some boring speakers, my roommate and I joked about what nose rings I should wear on the holidays. She suggested that for Presidents day I should get a little face of Presidents Washington and Lincoln. For Pioneer Day maybe a hand-cart. We got a little silly, but it was fun to joke about it with her.

After church we were all walking out to the parking lot, and I noticed a lot of people staring at me, some were even glaring a little bit. Not nice. I thought we were supposed to be a non-judgmental people. Oh well. I can understand, I mean, for Utah County I really am stepping out of a lot of social norms to have my nose done.

After church the Relief Society president stopped by to tell us that there was a Ward Dinner at the Bishop's house. We all jumped in the van and headed up.

While there we met some guys who live two doors down. They are really nice and funny. Actually, I think one of the guys is going to be spending a lot of time hanging out with me. I'm excited. He's hilarious, and we already get along really well. Right before my roommates and I left he was sitting next to me and said kind of low, "By the way, I really like the nose ring. I think a lot of people around here are going to have a problem with it. But I think it looks good." Thanks! My first ward complement! It was really nice to get, since I'm positive I'm going to get an uber-crappy calling this semester. You know, the love-her-back-into-the-fold kind of job. Probably Door-Greeter or Activities Committee Member. No good calling for Granola this semester. Basically, I can kiss Sunday School Teacher good-bye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home