Friday, September 16, 2005

I Hope They Call Me On A Mission

My kid sister has decided to go on a mission. I'm so proud of her and excited for the opportunities she's giving herself. Unfortunately, she's not exactly the plan ahead type, thus she has no money saved up to pay for this little adventure; and the money she has saved is being spent on the preparatory things like dental work and shots, etc. She hopes to submit her papers this month, with an availability date in December.

Admittedly we're all excited for her, but I had a feeling that she was going to call on the Bank of Granola to fund her. Not surprisingly, she did. Now, I'm not saying that I begrudge her asking — frankly, I would have been disappointed had she not. The thing of it is, Mumsy and Da-doo certainly can't afford it, and our other two sisters are as far removed from potentially being able to help as is humanly possible. The only other sibling remaining is our brother, and I'm not sure he's able either. So, now you're wondering, how much is this little venture going to cost. Well, my friend, rest assured, I have the answer: $400/month for a mere 18 months (that's $7200, for those of you too lazy to bust out a calculator).

The good news is, if we can't scrounge up the funds, then the church will make up the difference. I was talking with OfficeNeighbor about it yesterday, and he suggested I put up a Web site called: www.SendMyKidSisterOnAMission.com and have a pay-pal account, along with a running total of the money people have donated. The (theoretical) Web site just got bigger and better: weekly letters from her, photos of the places she is and the people she works with, etc. After all that, he then suggested that I scrape 50 cents off the dollar and save up a bit for a down-payment for my new house. He's going to Hell at that rate. I told him that, alternatively, each of the guys could donate 40 bucks a month and we could all sponsor her. Yeah, that's not happening, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home