Thursday, January 26, 2006

Relocation Consultant

When I talked to the recruiter at InternetCompany last Wednesday he indicated that I would be hearing from a "Relocation Consultant" by Friday. When I got my paperwork on Friday it said two days from when the offer was accepted. So, I waited. Last night I had yet to hear anything, so I sent an email to the HR dude and expressed my concern in a very professional manner: Uh, I need to plan, and haven't heard from anyone yet, should I be worried?

Two minutes later (seriously) I had a reply from him. He forwarded my email to the relocation consultant and asked him if he had contacted me. Five minutes after that my phone rang. We got almost everything hammered out, then he asked me if I had any questions about my flight stuff. Yes, just one. "So, I have a cello..." (this on the heels of 'So, I have an organ' and 'So, I have artist paints and art work and a couple of sculptures...' I'm sure he was completely confused at this point). I continued on, "and, I'm not sending it with the movers. Which means, I'm taking it on the flight with me. Is it going to be possible to get a plane ticket for it? If not, I totally understand."

Clearly, this was the first time this question had ever been asked, "Um, I'm going to have to refer you back to HR for that one. Let me ask him and I'll get back to you tomorrow."

"Ok. And, like I said, I understand if it's not, I just need to know so I can buy it a ticket. You know?"

Oddest question he had all day, I'm sure.

This afternoon I get a phone call, it's my Relocation Consultant. "So, Granola, I wanted to let you know that I spoke with HR and the cello is covered."

Yup. You read that correctly, they're going to buy it a plane ticket! Hello! I love the red carpet being rolled out for me. Yeah, I could work there.

So, the way things work out is like this: The movers are coming on the 9th. The van movers are coming on the 10th, and I'm flying out sometime on the 10th as well. Holy rusted metal, Batman! Two weeks! Two weeks! What am I going to do?!?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home