Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Wrong Number

Christmas morning I sent a number of my friends text messages wishing them a Merry Christmas. In fact, the entire text of the message read: "Merry Christmas! -Granola Girl"--deep stuff, that.

Tuesday I got a phone call from one of my friends to whom I had sent a text. I was excited, but unable to answer the phone. Luckily, she left a message. 30 minutes later I was able to pick up my message. Instead of my friend I heard a man's voice, whom, 4 of us quickly determined, sounded inebriated in some fashion. After a number of replays we determined that he said, "Hola. Mi nombre es Alberto." Uh... gee, that's not my (female) friend.

Shortly there after I receive the following text message, "Quien ere que tienes la voz bonita". Which, as we all know, translates roughly as: "Who are you that you have a beautiful voice?" Uh, yeah... are you thinking creepy? 'Cause I am!!

I declined to reply. He, however, is far more persistent that you might think (especially considering that he clearly doesn't speak English). In totally yesterday he called me 7 times, left 3 voicemails (all in Spanish, and one, where we think he might have been singing(what the...?)), and sent me one text message. Gee. After the first 5 times I sent him right to voicemail you'd think he'd learn. Au contraire! Tonight he called me three times.

Um, dude, I dialed a wrong number. I ain't callin' ya back. I think it's time you moved on.

I have decided that if he calls me again tomorrow I'm changing my answering message to say, "Hi! You've reached Granola with the Department of immigration. Please leave me a message at the tone." Assuming, of course, that I'm not with any guys when he calls. If I am, I shall simply have them answer the phone. My Spanish is embarrassingly lousy, and I don't really want to have to explain to him that I'm not interested. I think a male's voice on the phone might be all the explanation that he needs.

Lastly, let's be honest here, if I were all that and a ball of wax, does he really think I'd be sitting at home waiting for some random guy to call me up and ask me out? Honestly, I think I'd be taken, don't you? Sheesh.

As an aside, I do have a nice voice. I'm just not (a) his dream girl; or (b) a 900 number operator. Maybe I should start billing him for the all the time he's wasted...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My suggestion is that you have your HS SPANISH teacher make your message for you...but that would mean that you would have to actually ADMIT to him that your Spanish sucks! lol

<3 mumsy

December 28, 2006 9:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home