Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Letter to the Editor

Admittedly, I live in a bubble. There is no getting around it. People here have a completely different reality than the rest of the world. That is, however, no excuse for being completely stupid (or, oblivious to the rest of the world, for that matter).

Today as I was reading the letters to the editor in The Daily Uni-farce I couldn't help but be incensed at the stupidity of my fellow woman. The following comes from the letter (only a few sentences have been edited out, mostly because the didn't pertain to the topic at hand) that raised my ire (oh, and in case you miss it, my comments are in italics):

Equality v. equity
This is to all who've been on a feminist kick lately....

And (sic)(Please, allow me to begin this sentence, nay paragraph, with the word 'And,' thus demonstrating my superior command on the English language.) the complaint about men getting more money than women do in the workforce, do you know why women get paid less than men? Actually, yes, I do. It's leftover from the mentality that declares men need more money to support their families, and women are just going into the workforce to supplement their husband's income. Partially true, perhaps, but not always, and certainly not a justifiable excuse to start women out at a lower pay scale. I had an economics professor tell the class that it is because women tend to work part-time, thus getting paid less than men. Ahh! Your econ. professor. I'm sorry, I didn't realize that our professors' every utterance and opinion is gospel. In fact, now that you mention it, I had a professor tell the class that if we didn't get the concept that he was presenting the first time, then perhaps "physical education is a better major for [us]." So, I suppose that I should have just quit trying to get it, and changed my major. Oh, and, I had a professor tell me (yes, me, not the class) that I should marry ExOfNote. We broke up three months later. Good advice. Now, I'm not anti-feminist. The jury is still out on this one. I wasn't raised to be one by any means. That warms my heart. I'm glad you were raised to be tolerant. However, I don't want to be equal to a man. Um, the verdict is in. You may not be anti-feminist, but you are certainly anti-progression. Wait, I've changed my mind: you're right. My roommate is black. I'm not racist or anything, but I don't think she should be equal to white people. (ARE YOU A FREAKING MORON???)

For example, you have a 10-year-old in the back seat along with a 300 lbs. football player. Why the football player is in the back seat is anybody's guess. If you go to Burger King and buy six Whoppers, does it make sense to give each 3 (sic) whoppers (sic)? Of course not. Good point, now, let me try one. You have two equally skilled people starting work at your company. One is the sole supporter of a family, the other is single and has no one economically dependent upon them. Does it make sense that they should make the same amount? Of course not. Let's try another one. You have two equally skilled people starting work at your company. One is male, the other is female. Does it make sense that they should make the same amount? Of course not.

It's all about equity, not always about equality. Please, quit thinking that women are so underprivileged. I agree with this point. For the most part neither gender is underprivileged, and people do tend to blow those distinctions way out of proportion. However, it does happen, and it needs to not. For example, at both SuperStores and BigNameCompany I have been offered a bit less than the men I know who are working for these companies. Now, I can kick and scream all the way to the bank, or I can get in there and prove that I'm just as good as those men, and when the time comes, demand a more comparable pay rate. I'll be much happier devoting my time to raising my children than caring that if I were (Well, at least you got this one right. Props. Most people say 'was') in the workforce, my husband might be making more money than me (sic). Until he dies in a tragic car wreck (or you divorce, or he becomes disabled, or a myriad of other things that you're not immune from), and you become the women in my above "mock" scenario. (Additionally, I'm going to avoid pointing out that you ended your argument with one of, perhaps, the most grating grammatical errors. It should be 'I.' I'll save you the effort of double checking that, and just reassure you that I had a professor tell the class that once. No, I've changed my mind. I'm going to point it out.)

A Married Woman Who Thinks Her Husband Will Always Be Around to Care for Her
Albuquerque N.M. (I'm kind of surprised this sort of anti-progressionism would come out of New Mexico, but you never can tell)

And (Feel free to not comment on how I started this with an 'And.' I know I did. It was intentional. If it still bothers you, go look up the meaning of irony.), she strikes another blow for the feminists out there! All hail our champion!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home