Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Patriotism

Sometimes I forget my sense of patriotism. I forget the sacrifices those soldiers have made and will continue to make. I forget that I love my country, that I'm have civil rights so many others don't. I forget to be thankful for all of that.

Today a bunch of friends and I went to watch the fireworks display at Gas Works Park in Seattle. The display started with a rousing chorus of The Star Spangled Banner. Right after the song a military helicopter flew over us, the flag proudly flying below. The helicopter circled the cheering crowd, once. twice. As I stood on that hill, neglected feelings welled up inside me. I am "Proud to be American." As much as I forget, I truly am a Patriot.

I am thankful for the sacrifices of so many men and women. For as many wars I feel our country enters into illegally there is at least one other where our liberty was, or will be, truly threatened. This has long been, and will continue to be, the case. The members of our armed services deserve not our contempt, but our respect. They are willing to sacrifice everything, not just their lives, on the off chance that this one, this war, is the one that we cannot lose, or we lose it all.

On this July 4th I not only celebrate my freedom, but the freedom of all Americans. I salute the men and women of the armed forces with a mightily thank you. No caveat, no "too bad yours was one of the illegal ones," no whispering behind the back. A simple, and heartfelt thank you. For the willing sacrifice you make for those of us unwilling or unable to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home