Saturday, July 01, 2006

Un-American

Friday my boss took our team out for lunch. While we sat there hanging out and chatting I slurped to the bottom of my strawberry-lemonade. Most everybody had hardly put a dent in their drinks, and I was looking for the waitress for a water refill. One of the girls looked at my glass and exclaimed, "OH!" while pointing.

I laughed, "Yeah, I've got a drinking problem. Good thing I don't drink alcohol."

"Ever?" came the question.

"Not ever. In fact, I've never drunk any alcohol."

"That's rather un-American," my boss declared.

"Yeah, it is," I half laughed.

Someone asked what he meant, and he backed it up with the fact that drinking culture in American teenagers-early 20's is such that you hardly see someone who hasn't participated in drinking/parties, etc at some point in their formative years. Personally, I think he's right.

I laughed, then said, "Yeah, I was a boring high schooler."

You know, that was the first time someone has ever accused me of being un-American. In that sense, he's very right.

1 Comments:

Blogger Memory Keeper said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 02, 2006 12:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home