Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The Gods Hate Me

I'm fully convinced some things are done just to irk me.

Today, for example (are you really surprised?), I had to buy some cloth from the campus paper stockroom for my bookbinding class. In order to do that, I had to have money on in my student account, accessible only via my student id. To do that, I had to make a payment with my credit card, which I can do online, only. So, after my first class I went to a computer lab, logged in to eighteen different things (ok, only two, but still...), and made a payment. Then, I logged out of it all, and hurried to another building. I had to buy the cloth before heading down to work, and I happened to be lacking the desire to be late.

When I got to the stockroom the worker was nowhere to be seen. The sign said she was on an errand. Ok. So I waited. There were three girls in line ahead of me. They told me she had been gone for a while. Well, that usually means that it was a long errand, but it also means that she's probably just about finished. So I continued to wait. The girls got tired of doing so, and left. I waited alone. Five or so minutes later they returned with a stockroom worker in tow. She helped them, and then some other girl who had come in just as she was helping them all out. I got up to the window, and asked for two feet of black cloth. She turned around and looked at the bolt of black cloth, and then informed me that she was really not working and was just helping these girls out, and the girl who was supposed to be working was on her lunch break, but would be back soon, and could I wait, since cutting cloth takes a bit? Really, what option did I have? So, I said, 'fine.' and sat back down to wait.

Ten minutes later some other girl comes in to the stockroom area, I said, 'it shouldn't be that much longer.' She decided to leave. As she was walking out the door the worker ran into her and asked if she needed to buy something. They did that, and finally it was my turn, again. I asked the girl to please give me two feet of the black cloth. She turned, and looked at that same stupid bolt of black cloth, then asked me, 'Does it have a code?' How the heck am I supposed to know?! You're the one who works here, remember? 'Um, I don't know. There's no price on the price board, but...' She came out, looked, and said, 'See, we have to have a code issued from the department, and we're out of this old black, and we don't have the new code for the new black fabric. So, we really don't have any to sell.' Nice.

All-in-all, I waited for 25 minutes (10 of which were the fault of the stupid girl who didn't want to help me, and couldn't be bothered to tell me that they couldn't sell me any because of the departmental red tape), and ended up being late to work anyway.

Oh, did I mention that I needed that fabric to finish binding something that is due in class tonight. Yeah. I'm screwed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home