Sunday, January 29, 2006

Violin

Many months ago PuppyDogAndBows condescendingly announced that she used to play the violin. That's great! Why doesn't she have it out here? It'd be neat to hear her play. I encouraged her to bring her violin back to Utah with her when she went home for Christmas, and (much to my surprise) she did!

She is taking violin lessons, which I think is quite wonderful. Interestingly, she never practices when anyone else is home.

Tonight, however, she decided to practice. We had some interesting conversations that lead me to believe that she hasn't played as much as she wanted me to believe. So, as she was setting up I asked her how long she had played.

"Four months when I was in 4th grade, and then off and on in junior and high school for about two years." Was her reply.

"And, you have your own violin?" I asked, kind of surprised.

"Yeah, my mom bought it for me when I first started taking violin."

"Wow! That's great!"

Then, she pulled it out — it's interesting how a 18 months can change one's perspective. Frankly, her violin isn't exactly a high quality instrument. In fact, I'm amazed she can even play it. It was clearly a rather inexpensive investment. The great news is: at least she's back learning again. I just think it's kind of funny how condescending she was about the whole thing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

CONTEST OVER AT MY PLACE.

January 29, 2006 12:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home